A lot of animal shelters and pounds report a big increase in runaway pets after fireworks or a storm. Dogs can actually hear 10 times better than humans, so loud explosions and thunder can be extremely terrifying for them. We have created some simple steps to help keep your pets safe and minimise stress during fireworks and storms (scroll down for a simple infographic).
- Make sure your pets are always wearing their ID tag with your current contact details.
- Make sure their microchip details are up to date too.
- On days you know a storm or fireworks is coming, make sure your pets are well fed and properly exercised before it starts.
- Keep your pets inside in a safe and secure space.
- Close all windows and doors, and leave the TV on to block out the loud sounds.
- Remove any sharp or dangerous objects that may harm a fearful pet.
- If you know your pet is afraid of storms and fireworks, stay home with them on these nights.